Friday 14 August 2020

Japanese Ghosts!


I well remember the first time I saw the original version of The Ring (Ringu) on VHS, quite an experience given the haunted videotape theme. To me, the long-haired ghost Sadako was a novelty. But in Japan it seems such spirits are part of an ancient and still vital tradition. In this article you can read about Sadako and her close relatives. 

And there are many others...

Fudakaeshi is notorious for its ability to persuade people to remove their protection charms against ghosts (fuda) and let vengeful spirits in. Fudakaeshi was firstly described in “Kyōka hyakumonogatari”—a collection of comical poems of the late Edō period about Japanese spirits. Being Yūrei themselves, Fudakaeshi can not touch or remove protective fuda, but by tempting or bribing foolish and greedy people, they achieve this goal and can attack their poor victims.
h/t Steve Duffy


1 comment:

John said...

I was introduced to the ghosts of Japan through the writings of the remarkable Lafcadio Hearn. Regarding RINGU, I prefer the original Japanese version. Many Japanese horror DVD's have become available in Region 1 or Region Free over the recent years. Thanks for the link to the article.

'Schalken the Painter' by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

A reading by yours truly of one of the all-time classics. I hope you enjoy it!  I'm told my voice sends people to sleep so maybe try it ...