Sunday 26 January 2020

'The Follow Up'

Last Stop Wellsbourne: A CollectionThe third story in Last Stop Wellsbourne by Tom Johnston was first published in Cold Iron, a ghost story anthology by Iron Press. I was impressed with it when I read that book, and I was impressed all over again when I re-read the story this week. The tale is a simple one, at least superficially. A council worker whose job is cutting grass in parks and cemeteries recalls a terrible accident that killed a female colleague. But, as the story progresses, it is revealed that the accident might not have been quite what it seemed.

The description of the routine work and the gradual accumulation of detail here is very M.R. Jamesian. This is particularly true of passages such as 'I kept glimpsing long, black hair in the corner of my eye as the coroner questioned me'. There is also a surreal finale that could be interpreted as the proof of a mind fraying at the edges. The last line is especially effective, with its echo of 'The Waste Land' as well as many classic ghost stories.

So, another winner. This is shaping up to be a very enjoyable collection. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

'Schalken the Painter' by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

A reading by yours truly of one of the all-time classics. I hope you enjoy it!  I'm told my voice sends people to sleep so maybe try it ...