Wednesday 21 July 2010

Let Me In


Let the Right One In is one of the best vampire films I've seen. I'm not a great fan of the genre, except in its campy Hammer incarnation, because I feel the whole vampire thing leads to pretentious adolescent nonsense. We had Anne Rice (tedious, frilly shirts) and now there's the Twilight saga (which would appear to be tedious, sexist, quasi-religious propaganda). Somehow the vampire - from being an iconic horror image, and one that Joss Whedon revived for some cool TV dramedy - has become a repository for shallow wish-fulfilment fantasies. So I want Hammer's version of the Swedish film to succeed even if it isn't brilliant, and even though I usually dislike English-language remakes of foreign movies. After all, it's Hammer. And vampires should have genuine bite.

No comments:

ATARASHII GAKKO! - HANAKO (Official Music Video)

'Hanako of the Toilet' is a famous Japanese urban myth of a girl ghost that haunts... well, you can work it out for yourself.  (I th...