Saturday 6 June 2015

Knight Moves

When I was but a humble undergraduate (at Sunderland Poly in the mid-Eighties, thank you for asking) I studied Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I wrote an essay on it, which I probably can't find. But I'm glad that I'm not the only person who finds the plot a tad confusing

gawain

GREEN KNIGHT: let’s play a game
you hit me today and i’ll hit you a year from now
GAWAIN: it’s Christmas
GREEN KNIGHT: fine
hit me today and i’ll hit you a year and a day from now
happy?
GAWAIN: I don’t understand the rules of this game
or the prize
what is the end goal here

No comments:

Supernatural Tales 55 is now available to order in print form

  New stories by Mark Falkin, Carole Tyrrell, Cliff McNish, Tom Johnstone, Reggie Chamberlain-King, and Timothy Granville Cover art by Sam D...