Monday 8 February 2016

'The Willows' wins!

The just-a-bit-of-fun poll on the stories of Algernon Blackwood ended with a resounding victory for 'The Willows', with 'The Wendigo' lagging in second place. I think the next author should be M.R. James - but which stories to include? Or, more importantly, which ones to leave out? Here is a provisional list - what's missing?

"Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad"
Casting the Runes
Lost Hearts
A Warning to the Curious
The Ash-tree
Count Magnus
Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book


UPDATE
Well, this is annoying. The very simple Blogger poll widget that I used before has now stopped working. I will explore alternatives.

4 comments:

James Everington said...

The Mezotint...

valdemar said...

Okay, I will add 'The Mezzotint'.

Oscar Solis said...

How about An Episode of Cathedral History. That ending packs a fantastic punch.

Would a list of Machen be possible in the future?

valdemar said...

Fair enough! I will indeed do a Machen poll, and am open to suggestions as to which stories should be included. Provisionally I would include:

The Great Pan
N
The Inmost Light
The (Novel of the) White Powder
The (Novel of the) Black Seal
The White People
The Shining Pyramid

Any more?

'Schalken the Painter' by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

A reading by yours truly of one of the all-time classics. I hope you enjoy it!  I'm told my voice sends people to sleep so maybe try it ...