Phantoms at the Phil
Ghost Story Competition
Phantoms at the Phil was conceived as a one-off Christmas event where Sean O'Brien, Chaz Brenchley and Gail-Nina Anderson wrote ghost stories and read them to an invited audience, much as M. R. James used to do.
Now in its sixth year, ‘Phantoms’ runs in Summer and Winter and has become a tradition, both for the writers and for the audience. As part of our Supernatural ‘Seeing is Believing’ events programme we offer you the chance to take part in one of the most popular events in the North East’s Literary Calendar.
While we are looking for tales that definitely function as "ghost stories", the interpretation of what that means can be reasonably widely interpreted. Even the great M.R.James didn't limit himself to traditional ghosts, and the returning spirits of the dead certainly aren't responsible for all haunting experiences in literature. Some supernatural element, however, should be part of the plot.
The authors of three winning stories (to be judged by the original Phantoms participants) will be awarded a prize of £100 each and will be invited to read their stories at a special Phantoms at the Phil event on Thursday 1st July 2010 at the Lit & Phil, Newcastle upon Tyne.
This event will be preceded, on Thursday 24th June, by readings of newly commissioned stories from Phantoms’ original writers, Sean O’Brien, Chaz Brenchley and Gail-Nina Anderson.
All six stories will be published in a pamphlet and on the Lit & Phil’s website.
Prizes Sponsored by J.D.Wetherspoon
Lit & Phil Ghost Story Competition Rules
- Entries must be no more than 3,000 words and must be the original unpublished work of the entrant.
- Entries must be in English, typed in double spacing on one side of A4 white paper with the story title and page number on each sheet.
- Entries must be accompanied by a cover sheet that includes entrant's name, address, title of story and word count. The entrant's name must not appear on any page other than the cover sheet. We regret that manuscripts cannot be returned.
- Entries may be submitted by post to Phantoms at the Phil Competition, Lit & Phil, 23 Westgate Road, Newcastle, NE1 1SE. or by email to Kay Easson email@example.com
- Closing date for receipt of entries is Friday 14th May 2010.
- Entry into the competition costs £5. Cheques should be made payable to ‘The Lit & Phil’ and posted with entries.
- Payment for entries submitted by email can be made online via the Donate facility on the Lit & Phil’s website: www.litandphil.org.uk Please indicate Phantoms at the Phil Competition in Purpose box
- Entry to the competition implies acceptance of the rules.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.