Oddly enough, as I was setting out to Newcastle Central Station for a trip to London last Friday, I received the latest copy of One Eye Grey. Entitled 'The Last of the Chelsea Smilers', it consists of more macabre and downright weird tales of London. How much of a coincidence was that?!? Not much, really, but I'm easily impressed. Anyway, it's a good collection. I read much of it on the train down and found myself enjoying stories that informed me what a preternaturally ghastly metropolis I had decided to spend a weekend in. The Chelsea Smilers of the title are particularly effective nasties in a story by OEG editor Chris Roberts. Like many of the beings in the stories they are the stuff of urban legend. Other highlights include Martine Jones' 'Erase Book', with its sinister electronic puzzling antics, and 'Walking on Water' by Benedict J. Jones. The latter has a good X-Files vibe. But it's all good - the OEG gang continue to live up to the hig...
Comments
The more popular where's my arm (told by someone else) did a lot better.
It sort of bothered me, thinking I had done a lousy presentation but I realized that what todays audiences seem to want these days, or this particular group anyhow, is the simple scare in a very short and compact story. The influence of too many bad horror movies I guess.
A bit of a downer but there it is.
I think you've hit upon one of those 'sad but true' facts. I wonder if M.R. James' stories are now more or less unreadable to horror fans? I'm not sure if it's bad horror movies to blame - I like horror movies and some modern ones are very good. But it's a different skill - listening to a story requires an ability to be attentive, remember details, and anticipate events in the mind's eye. Films do much of our imagining for us.