Sunday 17 July 2016

Caveat Emptor!

Somebody is trying to sell a 'lost James McBryde illustration' for an M.R. story on eBay. Yeah, right.



This is it. It looks a bit crap, tbh, and I'm racking my brains as to which M.R. James story it might 'illustrate'. The seller suggests 'Canon Alberic', which is absurd as a. it looks nothing like any scene from the story and b. McBryde successfully illustrated that story anyway. But that's not stopped the seller from asking £895. Phew.

As usual, I'm in the wrong business. If I had to guess I'd say this was a magazine illustration from around the same time, but nothing to do with MRJ. The fact that the seller claims to have 'many more' works by McBryde ought to give even the most naive person pause for thought.

No comments:

LET YOUR HINGED JAW DO THE TALKING by Tom Johnstone (Alchemy Press)

ST 55 features a tale by Brighton's finest purveyor of contemporary horror, Tom Johnstone. And it just so happens that Alchemy Press is...