Friday 19 April 2013

MRJ Headstone Restoration

At Rye I found that E.F. Benson's grave is very modest, because the distant relative responsible didn't like him very much, and didn't even bother spelling his name correctly. The EFB Society does its best, but there's only so much that can be done with what amounts to a perfunctory resting place - an afterthought rather than a memorial. By coincidence, the other day I found this reminder of how M.R. James' admirers restored his grave at Eton at the turn of the century. I wasn't there, I hasten to add - but I got the little brochure because I contributed a few bob.





2 comments:

Sebastián Cabrol said...

what a truly interesting blog you have, Mr Valdemar. greetings from Argentina.

Sue Gedge said...

I really regret not going there that day, still don't know why I didn't....

LET YOUR HINGED JAW DO THE TALKING by Tom Johnstone (Alchemy Press)

ST 55 features a tale by Brighton's finest purveyor of contemporary horror, Tom Johnstone. And it just so happens that Alchemy Press is...